29.4.09

Mom's Milestone and Crab Benedict


My mother has been on a fish-vegetable-juicing-flax seed- barley grass-kales sprint since she was diagnosed with breast cancer. The other day she leans over and says, oh, let's have eggs benedict, but with crab - like this restaurant in town serves.

So this morning, in part because of logistics, as a celebration of her last day of radiation, we had crab benedict. Now, making fancy breakfasts isn't my thing, as any of my colleagues can attest, but I love making it at my parents.' Perhaps because they are so cheery and bustling at 5:30 (yes, that would be in the morning - on weekends, it is closer to 6:30, yes, am).

The hollandaise sauce is actually quite easy. The trick is to keep whisking. Yeah, a bit of a workout, but really great results. And clearly, use only real crab. No fake stuff, and if the crab is small, use a little more. It's amazing. You need to try this recipe. Beats any other Benedict by FAR!

Crab Benedict
Serves 4

1/2 dungeoness crab - big fat one, separated into large pieces, fat removed, about 2 cups chunky crab
4 - 8 eggs, poached (one to two eggs per person - we found one to be sufficient)
4 whole wheat English muffins, sliced and lightly toasted
1 recipe Martha's hollandaise, but use 2 Tbsps of lemon

A bowl of fruit- to flush out your system

Layer: English muffin, crab, egg, sauce.
Enjoy with a cup of coffee and a baby aspirin!

1 comment:

Mothering Mini said...

So I just read this entry and now I am starving! Alas, it is a frozen meal I'll be eating for lunch, and not this delicious crab benedict. But I will definitely make this recipe soon!

Post a Comment