16.9.08

Cars and Korean Buns

I hate being a stereotype, but sometimes I epitomize them. Take cars
for example. Last afternoon, while waiting for my Momofuku buns to
rise for the first time, I noticed that one of my tires was seriously
low. Possibly flat. I don't actually know the difference except for
flat is really bad and my AAA has been expired for a year. So I
googled, made calls. Nothing. So I walked to the neighborhood garage.
I had trouble formulating the question. At my normal garage, they are
accustomed to my human descriptions of my car's condition. It sounds
asthmatic. It feels as though it just ate a whole turkey for dinner.
The nice people at the garage said it was fine to drive the 4 blocks
in the morning. So here I am. Waiting for the verdict, with fauxmofuku
in the back seat.

Anyhoo, back to the buns. So two weeks ago, my baby brother, my sister
and I went to the famed Momofuku in NY. Oh, so, good. Turns out, the
recipe for their pork buns are online. I can totally do this, I
thought. So on Friday night, I began with the 12 hour or more brining
of the pork. The next morning, I baked it for 2 1/2 hours, then brown
for 30 mins. It was a disaster. Too salty. So I tried again on
Saturday night at around 11.30 with some tweaking. The meat was divine.

More later...


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment